Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Inspiration: Arnold Schwarzenegger. "Who do you want to be? What makes you happy?"



I grew up on a healthy diet of Mr Schwarzenegger's action films. When other primary school kids loved "Mighty Ducks" and "Richie Rich", I loved "Predator" and "Terminator 2". A self-made man with passion, drive, determination and character.

When I hit the point early in the year where I had the day job, plus the comic book work, plus the Doctorate degree work, plus training for the next World Championships beginning this August, convention appearances, around the country flights, interstate squad sessions, 3rd degree black belt grading, commissions etc.etc. I thought I would fold.

Then I got "Total Recall"- Arnold's recent autobiography. Even better than 'Fantastic', the earlier bio released a number of years ago.
His life lessons and words were like a mental switch, or the proverbial lightening bolt.

Up on my fridge covered in Muhammad Ali quotes, I also have Arnold's rules, quotes and life lessons.  "The day has 24 hours".
"There are no shortcuts".
"The limit is in your mind".
"Don't be an amateur". etc.

Here's a recent tweet I made (via http://www.twitter.com/pmason83), and something I've always tried to have in my philosophy. Was really happy when Arnold mentioned it in his video:


'State of Origin' night in early June, arguably one of the biggest Rugby League game nights on Australian TV. A week night, and an empty gym. And I train, while most would be partying. When Arnold says "When you're out there partying, horsing around...Someone out there at the same time is working hard...", *I* want to be that someone. Try, improve, learn. 
Drawing, training, fighting, whatever.

This video a close mate posted online recently (via https://www.facebook.com/OneLifeEducation), helps me when I feel like the weight of the world is going to break me. When I'm running on fumes, working a full day, driving home and drawing in the night, training either before work when the gym opens, or after work just before it closes, 5-6 hours sleep if I'm lucky, rinse and repeat, this reminds me of why I'm doing all this Bulls*** in the first place.

Next month, it will be my 6th Comic guest appearance this year, as a guest of the awesome OZ Comic-Con in Melbourne, then San Diego Comic-Con where my first US story will be published using the old school Marvel character/real life stuntman 'The Human Fly', talking on the panel, then shooting to London for the World ITF Taekwon-do Championships where I attempt to bring home Gold. I might be tired, I might be broke, I might only have the support of close family, close friends and kind loyal readers, but screw it. That's all I need.

Do I come off sounding like a wanker here? Maybe. But then all I can do is forget the haters and trolls, and trust myself, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Push harder, stay hungry.

So, Who do you want to be, Soldiers? Keep working hard, I believe in what you choose if it improves you, others or makes you happy.

And remember;

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets."- Arnold Schwarzenegger.

See you at a convention some time ;)

No comments: